The big medieval tower of St. Stephen’s church stands at the center of the village and fine views can be had from the Churchyard. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1865. Perhaps the site of a Roman way-station, Bodfari was once famous for St. Deifar’s holy well, where children were dipped three times ‘to prevent their crying at night’. Sober authorities maintain that this well has now disappeared: optimists believe it is the one on view in the ‘Well Bar’ of the Dinorben Arms. The dipping of children there, however, is usually discouraged.
Church open for pre-arranged groups only. Guide to parish available. Contact The Rectory, Caerwys.
Church of St. Stephen, Bodfari