Owain Glyndwr’s Mound
The mound stands prominently on the left of the A5 Corwen-Llangollen road, seven miles east of Corwen and about a quarter of a mile east of Llidiart-y-Parc. On private land, view only from the road.
This impressive tree-ground mound was originally the ‘motte’ – strongpoint of a Norman earthwork castle, and was later part of the ancestral home of Owain Glyndwr, whose mansion (destroyed by the English in 1403) stood in the adjacent field. According to tradition, it was on this mount that Owain was formally proclaimed Prince of Wales on 16thSeptember 1400, thus beginning his famous uprising against English rule.
Owain Glyndwr’s Great Seal (reverse). By permission of the National Museum of Wales
Monument to Owain Glyndwr’s great grandfather, Valle Crucis Abbey
Gilt bronze harness mounting bearing the arms of Owain Glyndwr, foudn at Harlech Castle. By permission of the National Museum of Wales