Just outside the village left over the B5431 immediately after the bridge over the Alun. Some parking on verge, near the signed footpath through the castle site.
This medieval fortress is picturesquely sited by the river Alun. Its mound (or ‘motte’) is adapted from a natural rocky outcrop, ditched round on the sides away from the river. Doubtless the home of the lords of Iâl, it was once crowned by a stone tower: it may originate from the 11th century, and was strengthened by King John during his campaign against Prince Llywelyn the Great in 1212.
Visible across the road is a large cave (private) where prehistoric remains were found. The white farmhouse nearby (Plas Isaf) was part of the medieval manor house of Llanarmon.
Tomen y Faerdre, Llanarmon-yn-Ial